Mon Petit Chou Knit-along

a knit-along for the truly daring

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Arrrggghhhh!!!

I'm developing a love/hate relationship with this pattern. Tonight I cast on for the back of the hipster, and felt pretty pleased that I didn't have problems with the provisional cast on this time. And I sailed along happily until I reached that dreaded row where you purl together stitches from the two needles . . . and that's when things got ugly. Everything was lovely until just after you put stitches on a holder. I don't know how, but I dropped a stitch or more, got a humongous ladder that with black yarn was impossible to fix, and ended up frogging the whole thing.

I'm so mad! But if I was able to successfully do this purling from two needles on the front, of course I can do it again on the back, right? It just wasn't in the stars tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

How are the rest of you doing?

5 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Blogger chacha / Jen said...

Well, the actual knitting is going nicely on mine. I'm about 10 rows away from finishing the back of the hipsters, so I'm hoping to have those done by the end of the weekend.

However, I seem to be running a bit shorter on yarn than I should be. The pattern says that for the smallest possible size, you'll need 1 ball for the hipsters and 1 ball for the bra. My first ball ran out at about the halfway point on the back of the hipsters, so I wasn't even close. I've broken out the second ball to finish the back, and I'm really hoping that I don't end up needing a third ball (since the LYS where I found the stuff is a bit of a trek).

The cast-on is a huge pain, but at least it gives a nice-looking finished edge once it's done. :)

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

I'm worried about running out of yarn, too. For my size, I should have used 1 ball for the hipster front, another for the back. But I had to start a second ball a few rows before finishing the front.

If I get near the finish of the bra and only need a little more yarn, I could unravel my gauge swatch. We;ll see. I have a feeling I may need to buy another ball. :-(

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Me again. I cast on again this morning before work. I'm glad I had to start over as my cast on last night was too tight, anyway. It would have made an edge that pulled in. Today I made a couple of changes that helped a lot. I used a larger needle and a piece of thick, bulky yarn for the waste yarn. It's a much, much nicer looking cast on!

I've only knit rows 1 and 2. I'll tackle the YO, k2tog row and the purl together row tonight. This pattern is definitely pushing me out of my "knitting comfort zone."

Chacha, did you have any problems with the short rows?

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger chacha / Jen said...

No major problems with the short rows, other than me missing a YO here and there. Just keep track of where you are, and count stitches like crazy. :)

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Thanks, chacha. I'm feeling less grumpy about this pattern now that I got past the hurdle of the "purl stitches from two needles together" row. It went pretty well last night. Once you see that lovely edge, it's hard not to feel the pain was worth it!

On to the short rows. I've been using large Post-it notes that cover up everything but the line I am working on, as well as making a pencil mark for each repeat, to keep track of where I am. Every row gets checked off when finished, too. It worked great on the front--I had no problems with the lace pattern at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home