Mon Petit Chou Knit-along

a knit-along for the truly daring

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Gauge Question

I made a gauge swatch and now I/m trying to decide which size needle to use. The pattern says 26 stitches should measure 4 inches in stockinette (relaxed). I started with a US6 needle, as the pattern recommends, but my swatch was too big (4 1/2 inches). That's not surprising--I'm a loose knitter and nearly always have to go down a needle size or two. With a size 5 needle the swatch was just about 4 1/4 inches, and with a size 4 it was 4 1/8. Hmmm.

My gut says, this is a lace pattern, you don't want it to be too tightly knit, so go with the US5, especially since--for the bra, anyway--I am between two sizes. But size 4 needle puts me closer to the specified gauge.

I am leaning toward the size 5. This is such stretchy yarn, I'm not sure getting exact dimensions matters as much as with something like a sweater. What do you think?

4 Comments:

At 3:37 PM, Blogger pipefiddle said...

I just finished my swatch too, and I ended up using a size 4 to get the right gauge. I have never used "Fixation" yarn before (I really like it though, I like how light it is), but I'm in the same boat I wonder if using a 5 would be better too. It was pretty close and since the yarn is so stretchy I think it will be OK

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger chacha / Jen said...

It's stretchy yarn AND it's lace, so the finished fabric will have a lot of give to it. From the 3" of the front of the hipster that I have done, I can tell you that it stretches like crazy.

(For the record, I had to go down to #3s for mine.)

 
At 5:03 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Thanks! I think should use size 4s, and maybe I should get a pair of size 3s and swatch--I would probably get exact gauge with 3s.

I finished my socks last night so now I feel like I can focus on mon petit chou!

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger Mamma said...

Ohhh, I just want to knit. I'm still waiting on my yarn. I'll keep in mind the gauge issues.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home